Tuesday, November 5, 2013

{drake's first night}

We are now officially a family of four... four being three humans and one of the world's cutest puppies. Yup, that's right... we took the plunge and got a puppy less than six months before adding a baby to the family. Call us crazy. I would. Haha! Actually, we knew we were going to take the plunge two weeks ago, we just had to wait for puppy to be ready to leave his mommy and brothers and sisters. That time came last night and Jay went to go pick him up after work.
 
We are now the proud owners of Drake, the cute little chocolate lab pup that has stolen all of our hearts.
 
It was a bit of a busy night for us last night as not only were we getting the puppy, but we were also going over to Jay's grandparent's house for some of his grandma's delicious potato pancakes. And goodness were they ever delicious! I only wish I could have had more than I did! Smaller portions these days leads to a stomach that feels better (most of the time). Once I got home from work, it was quick see the puppy, change clothes, grab everyone and head to Jay's grandparent's house... puppy in tow.
 
Like I mentioned, we had a delicious supper and then had to run. It was already getting late and Ayden had homework to finish up, we needed to run to Walmart for a few things, and Jay wanted to be home to watch the Packer game. I felt bad for eating and running, but I know his grandparents understood. They are simply amazing. Let me tell you!
 
Drake did good on his first official outing. He slept the majority of the time that we were there. Poor little guy, I bet he was in shock the entire night!
 
After we got home, we settled down on the living room floor and played with Drake for a little while before heading off to bed. He's just so darn cute and loved to snuggle with me!
 
Ayden decided that he wanted to sleep downstairs to make sure that Drake didn't get scared. We had kenneled him for the night; however, he was scared and just cried and cried. Somehow Ayden managed to fall asleep with all of that crying, but I could hear it from our upstairs bedroom and I couldn't sleep. Keep in mind I could hear it over the sound generator and fan we had going in our room. Those darn mommy ears that I have! I tolerated it for about 45 minutes and then just felt bad. I had originally gone downstairs to tell Ayden he could go sleep in his room because I had assumed he would still be awake. In any case, he wasn't, but I woke him up and told him to go to his bed.
 
Then I proceeded to break probably ever puppy training rule in the manual, let Drake out of his kennel and proceeded to sleep with him on the couch. Yes, I KNOW I shouldn't have, but my heart strings were already pulled. I just felt bad that he would be in the kennel all night, out for a few hours in the morning while we were getting ready, and then kenneled all day again while we were gone at work.
 
So, Drake and I bonded together during his first night in the Hoerth household. I think he likes his new momma, haha! We both managed to get some sleep and surprisingly I'm not as tired today as I thought I would be which is a good thing, right?!
 
It about broke my heart when we had to kennel him this morning as Ayden and I were leaving. Poor little guy was just a crying! I know he will survive the day, but it just sucks thinking about it. I hope he didn't cry for too long and that he still loves me when I get home. It's for his own good though, I know.
 
There won't be any cuddling tonight though however... momma needs a good night sleep. Plus, I don't have to work tomorrow, so we will have all day to bond together again!
 
Pictures to follow soon!
 
CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: