Tuesday, May 13, 2014

{first run}

Yesterday marked four weeks since Xander was born. Let's take a moment and just reflect upon the fact that I have successfully been the parent of two children for four weeks and have successfully taken care of a newborn on my own during the day for three weeks. (Not that I didn't think I could take care of a newborn, but it has been a long time.)


Yesterday also marked my first postpartum run. Up until yesterday, I have been walking about three miles every few days, but my mind has been screaming to get out and run! My body on the other hand, hasn't been ready until just recently. And I was being smart and listening to it. Yes, I know that it hasn't been the 'recommended' six weeks yet, but if I didn't feel ready, I wouldn't have tried it.

I haven't ran or worked out since my birthday of last year. I know this because I ran the Dirty Girls 5k with Victoria and the day after my morning sickness started and that put a kaboosh on everything. I mean, if we are being honest here, I could probably totally have tried to work through it, but I was too miserable and didn't feel like it. Pity poor excuse if you ask me, haha!

Anyways, I fully knew that starting to workout and run again post baby wasn't going to be easy and it would push me physically, but I was ready. I had intentions of running with Ayden after he got home from school and taking Xander in the jogging stroller if need be. Then I remembered Ayden had soccer practice and I didn't want to tire him out before that and Jay was going to visit his parents and give his mom her Mother's Day gift and he was going to take the baby. So... After Ayden started practice, I laced up my new running shoes, strapped on my Garmin running watch, turned on some good tunes, and took off! Well, kind of. I actually have started the Couch to 5k program again. I did this program two years ago when I started running and loved it! It helped me run my first 5k, got me hooked on running, and ultimately led me to running my first half marathon! 

I knew yesterday's run was going to be hard and it was. But, what I wasn't prepared for was also how great it felt! The feeling of the pavement pounding under my feet is something that I didn't realize I missed so much. Yes, I did miss working out and running throughout my pregnancy, but I didn't realize just how much. I pushed through the workout yesterday and had the craziest smile on my face afterwards! I felt great afterwards... Think I was sort of riding a bit of a runners high. I was fully expecting to be sore this morning, but I wasn't. 

I felt more like myself than I have in the past who knows how many months. All of the dislikes I had about pregnancy were definitely worth it for Xander and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat for him, but I'm not going to lie, I feel SO much better now. Now just to work on losing those last six pounds and getting my muscle definition back and to fit back into ALL of my prepregnancy jeans, hehe! 

I can't wait to get back to swimming and the rest of my cross training as well... Bike riding and rollerblading, but I'm going to wait a few weeks yet for that. I'm going to start the program T25 in a few weeks too. Ready to hit everything up hardcore by the beginning of June!

The bitch it back! Haha! Just kidding! But the drive to get back out there is in full force now!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: