Wednesday, May 21, 2014

{running}

Today was my first non track non jogging stroller long run on my old running route and even though it severely kicked my ass, it felt great! When I started running again last week I had full intentions of following the Couch to 5K program like I did last time, but on Day 2 I said screw it and did my own thing. At this point I am fully doing my own thing, but it is still running inverals, they are just longer than I would be running already with C25K. Most of my runs so far have been with Xander in the jogging stroller around the track... No people, no bumps, and close to our house if Xander would happen to get ultra fussy (although he's enjoyed them so far). 


I fully and logically realize that I am only five weeks post partum and it took me nine full months to go from 123 lbs to 158 lbs (I'm kind of guesstimating that number, because it know it was close to 35 lbs that I gained during pregnancy), but the emotional part of me is bummed my weight loss has kind of stalled and it's taking hard ass work to get the scale to move again. As of this morning, I was 128.6 lbs, only 5.6 lbs to lose to get to my pregnancy weight, only 8.6 lbs to lose to get to my goal. But ultimately, the number on the scale doesn't matter so much to me as it is feeling good in my body and fitting back into all of my clothes. Most days I wake up and feel good about where I am in this so called journey back to the old me, but occasionally I'll look in the mirror and still see the baby pooch and I'll want to wear a specific pair of pants and I can't yet fit into them. I should feel great that at only five weeks out I only have five more pounds to lose, but also, the closer you get to your ideal weight, the harder it becomes to lose it and the more hard work you have to put in. Hard work sucks! Lol!

So, about my run today. Like I mentioned, it kicked my butt! I took off on my old three mile route and decided that I wanted to try and finish in 40 minutes or less. I had tried that on Monday on the track with the stroller, but missed it by three minutes. I was still proud of myself though. Three miles in 43 minutes while pushing a stroller (granted it was on a flat surface).

I put my headphones in, cranked the music to an unapproved by an audiologist level, hehe, and took off! I ran almost all of the first mile and then had to do shorter intervals throughout the rest of it. If you run, or even walk for that matter, you know there was just something about being alone with your thoughts. Running kicks my ass, but it also gives me that challenge and I love pushing myself. Today I was telling myself to get to the next light post or the next sign and to just keep going! And I did. I may have been a sweaty mess afterwards, but I also felt great! And you know what? I ran those three miles in 40 minutes 18 seconds. Not quite under my goal, but damn near close enough to it! It was just the 40 kid and baby free minutes that this momma needed to rejuvenate herself!

Getting ready to rock that 5k on Sunday, even if we have to walk more than run.

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: