Saturday, June 11, 2011

More Bambi… among other things…

We were at it again this past Thursday… tagging fawns. I can’t remember if I ever explained what we did as far as tagging fawns on here or not, so here goes.

Ayden’s cub scout leader knows someone who owns a local deer farm. For the last few years his family would help the owner out going through his pens with does in finding the fawns and tagging them. The purpose of tagging the fawns is to keep track of how many are born. This is the third week we’ve gone back to help search for fawns. This week I invited my classmate and friend Katie along because she is SUCH an animal lover that I just KNEW she would love it! And… she did!

At the beginning of our second pass through the woods the owner happened upon a fawn that was not tagged yet. This one was a little bit older and was pretty active, but we still passed him around and all got to hold him!

Here is Katie holding her first fawn!IMG_6869And here she is geeking out about having to be the one holding the fawn when he gets tagged. It’s just like piercing it’s ear, well that’s that it is. Because she is such an animal lover she can’t stand to see animals in pain etc… so she had to look away! Hehe! It was cute!IMG_6872About halfway through our second pass I happened upon the next fawn that was untagged. We all got to see a bunch of the does running around and see a few fawns that were already tagged. I was excited to happen upon one myself because the first time we went we only found two and the second time was when I took Ayden to sit in the truck halfway through because he wasn’t feeling good and they found them all at the end. This one was also a little bigger so I made Jay pick him up so he wouldn’t get up and run away on me. I just took the pictures, hehe! This one cried and cried for his mom when he was picked up and mom came running, but she didn’t get too close.IMG_6874IMG_6876As we were working on tagging the one that I found, Katie was strolling around behind us and came upon another one that needed to get tagged. I was excited that she was able to find one herself and I think that got her really into looking for them. We made a few more passes in the pen (we had about 18 acres to cover) and saw a few more tagged fawns running around. I happened to walk past another untagged one, but by the time I realized it, he (or she) was up and running away from me.

On our last pass through the pen I was coming up to the fence and happened to look down into a brush pile and wouldn’t you know, I found another cute little one. This one was the smallest that we found on Thursday and I just HAD to pick him (or her, because I cannot remember if the owner said it was a boy or girl) up. I mean, it needed to get tagged, but this time I picked it up instead of making Jay and then I had to get a picture as well!IMG_6881Ayden held this one too! He didn’t want to hold any of the older ones or any from the first two weeks that we went so I was excited when he said that he wanted to hold this one. IMG_6883And Katie had to get a few more cuddles in before we left as well! By the way, this is the classmate that I took engagement pictures for this past winter. Her and her fiancé finally decided on a wedding date (about three months before our wedding date) and I’m so excited to have a friend getting married so close so we can plan stuff together (although I have a feeling her and Matt’s wedding will be a little more upscale/expensive than ours because her parent’s have enough money and she is an only daughter, but I’m going to do my best to not be jealous). IMG_6884And because I’m in the picture post kind of mood, here are few pictures from last weekend when we went home for Jay’s brother’s graduation. We stopped at the county park on our way home so I could take some pictures of my best friend and her boyfriend (and we all know how that turned out) and instead took a few pictures for myself.IMG_6824IMG_6838A quick attempt at trying to capture Ayden blowing a dandelion, but he didn’t want to ‘slow’ down enough for me to get the picture right. I guess I will have to try again, but here’s a cute one none the less!IMG_6827And here is a picture of my bestie on her motorcycle! I still think she is crazy for having one and actually driving it, but if she likes it, then so be it! Hehe! I don’t know that I would ever be that brave, but all the more power to her!IMG_6860And finally… a picture of my honey and his newly graduated brother and my little man! What a family, eh?!?!IMG_6811CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: