Friday, April 19, 2013

{oshkosh half marathon: part 1}

Pre-Race

Here I sit on Friday night all curled up in my heating blanket wondering how my very first half marathon is going to play out on Sunday morning. I don't think I've had a coherent thought about it all week.

I've sat here wondering what to say about the awful bombings that occurred at the Boston Marathon earlier this week and words just fail me. Something like this would have shaken me either way, but I feel even more speechless because it affected the runner in me even more. Running has become a release for me since I started and I feel very connected to the running community. I read a lot of blogs of people who were in Boston earlier this week and my heart stopped when I heard about the bombings. My heart stopped for people that I didn't even know in real life, but felt like I've known forever. Horrible. That's all I can say.

So, with the events leading up to my half make it all that more important to me. Not only am I running it for myself now... I am also running it for everyone in Boston. We, as a running community, will not let this stop us.

I've 'saved' my knees all week, with the exception of a short run on Monday (which led to some sore knees, hence the no working out this week) and I am ready to kick butt on Sunday. I've felt pretty lazy all week and I think that has played into my semi downer attitude. I've wanted to be active, but I was afraid of hurting anything for Sunday. After Sunday it is back to full on getting my groove thing on at the gym and hopefully outside in some warmer weather!

I am going to give it more than my all. I am going to push forward when my head is telling me to stop. Running is SO mental. I am going to continue to put one foot in front of the other and finish the race and earn that medal! Funny how a little medal is propelling me forward, haha!

I'm continuing to cross my fingers for halfway decent weather, but I am not going to let bad weather deter my mood either.

Victoria and I have found a Dream in Color 5k going on in two weeks that we have decided to do with our little men. We know that with them we will be walking more than running, so we have decided to give this weekend's race our all. No mental games. None. Zip. Zilch. I missed the Color Run 5k in January, so this will be my make up. What's even better is that my sister and her boyfriend are going to do it with us. I can't wait! And we better have fab weather for that walk or I just might puke! Haha!

I'm pre-racing it up all day tomorrow by doing a whole lot of nothing, except staying hydrated, doing some stretching, and spending the day with my little man!

Make sure you check back for Part 2 (Race Day) and Part 3 (Post Race)!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: