Thursday, April 25, 2013

{oshkosh half marathon: part 3}

Post Race

If I thought I knew what pain was after my 17k, I was wrong!

I could tell immediately after the race that I was going to be in some kind of pain for the rest of the day. I think it was probably less than I had imagined because I drugged up even before the race started. By the time I got back to my house afterwards, I was very tight. So much for really stretching it out after the race, haha! The one thing I really need to work on.

Instead of being smart and taking an ice bath or shower or even icing my knees, I hopped into a regular shower and then as a family we headed off for some bowling afterwards. I bowled one game with Jay and the little man and then watched them bowl two more. I was sore for the game that I bowled, but I dealt.

For the rest of the day I laid on the couch and watched some good old boob tube. I was surprised that I did zonk out at all and take a good nap considering I was up even before the crack of dawn!

What I was prepared for was the amount of pain that I would be in the following day! O.M.G.!!! I should have iced on Sunday! My knees, particularly my right one, hurt like a bitch with any movement yesterday. Stairs were my nemesis!

I got smart, well Jay made me get smart, last night and I iced my knee for a couple of hours yesterday. I was gone all day and on my feet, so I know that that didn't help any.

I have to say that Day 2 post race, my left knee is pretty much back at normal... my right knee though is still pretty tender even to the touch. More icing tonight.

I really messed up not getting new shoes before the 17k. Ugh! I know that given the amount of pain that I am in right now that I should not run for a good three to four weeks. I will give my knee two weeks off from running, concentrate on some upper body work and then maybe see how the knees are feeling after that. Start out slow with a mile or two.

Was the medal worth the pain... HELL YEAH! Pain is temporary... pride is FOREVER! I am SO proud of myself! I earned it baby, I earned it!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: