Monday, January 31, 2011

Feelin’ Good

I’ve sat down at my computer the last couple of days with every intention of blogging about my days… and each day, I log into Facebook or start reading some blogs and I get sucked in and then I no longer feel like blogging about my day. But today… today I’ve continued to tell myself that I WILL sit down and blog. I WILL just write until my hearts content.

I could sit here and vent about the horribleness that my life is, but in all honesty, it hasn’t really been horrible this past week. It has actually been pretty good and I’ve been enjoying my classes (for the most part) and especially enjoying my clinic placement, and my future hubby and my adorable lovable son, and NOT the crappy weather!

Last Monday was the start of my first full week back to school and the start of my off campus clinic placement. I have to say, the week flies by when you are out of the house by 7:30am and not back in it until after 5pm each day! Definitely flies! I enjoy being busy again and having something to do (I was feeling like a caged animal towards the end of winter break- what with the cold winter weather and all and not having a whole lot to do).

The one major downside that I have noticed though (besides getting myself and a sleepy six and a half year old up by 6:15am each morning) is the fact that I don’t get to see my little love bug but for a few hours at the end of the day before he goes to bed. And at least one of those hours involves some sort of cooking/eating supper. It has been a while since I’ve had a schedule that has kept me away until almost supper time each night and that equals sad faces. I know that it will be like this once I start my actual job as well and it will just take some time to get used it. It also means that both Ayden and I will cherish the time that we do get to spend together each night more. I know that many many families live like this, but I can totally see the one of the plusses to being a stay at home parent because you get to be with your child more than anyone else. Feeling a little guilty that my kiddo spends the majority of his away hours each day at the before school program and school, but alas I know it is best for us right now and that I couldn’t pull off being a stay at home mom or homeschooler like the ones who are truly called to do it.

In any case, like I said, Ayden and I will cherish the time we get to spend together anymore. I know I did when my mom wouldn’t get home until after 5pm each day when we were growing up… sitting in the kitchen with her talking while she cooked supper (fighting over her time with my brother and sister)… heck, still do it to this day when we go home to visit.

Tuesday was my first day at my off campus placement and I have to say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and my supervisor! She is the greatest and if I thought I wanted to be an audiologist before this, I know even more so now that I am going to LOVE my job! I’ve only had two days of the ‘real world’ experience of being an audiologist and it is great. My supervisor is SO nice and explains things great and lets me get right in there and be hands on. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE MY PLACEMENT! For the most part on Tuesday I just sat back and observed, but on Thursday I got right in there cleaning off hearing aids, doing hearing tests, and even an ear mold impression. It felt SO good to get back behind an audiometer again and test someone’s hearing. I hadn’t done that in almost two months because we didn’t have a lot of hearing evaluations towards the end of my last semester and when we did have one, I let my first year mentee do the testing to get practice. I think this is going to be a great semester and I can’t wait to go back each Tuesday and Thursday.

What’s better is that the day FLIES by with appointments AND I don’t have to stick there afterwards doing hours upon hours of reports like I did on campus… or have weekly meetings or any of that jazz, it’s great! Speaking of weekly meetings, apparently the first year students are having a weekly meeting each week as a whole, in addition to the one they have separately with their individual supervisors. We had this kind of weekly meeting our first semester of graduate school, but haven’t had to have it since. Katie and I scored big on that one!

Wednesday was another long day at school. We’ve only had two Wednesdays so far and I already hate them, haha! Only like 14 more to go I think. The afternoons are just TOO long and one of our professors doesn’t know when the class ends and tends to talk over and really that is just annoying when you have four and a half hours of class in a row with only two ten minute breaks… and then they talk over and it ends up being only one ten minute break. SUCKY!

I do have to say though, that so far I am loving my Pediatrics class (the professor is pretty awesome and her first quiz was super easy) and I think that my class with the good ole’ Dr. Henry (Pathologies) is going to be pretty interesting too. Dreading his tests, but so far liking the material that we are covering. I don’t particularly care for my Geriatrics class yet, but we’ve only had one, and the Practice Management course sucks sitting through, but I think writing the business plan is going to be fun and interesting to say the least. I am currently working on a cover letter and resume for that class.

I have Friday off from class and I only work in the mornings for a little while. This past Friday I made Jay get up with Ayden and take him to school so I could sleep in. It was only fair because Jay gets to sleep in every day now, unless it snows out. He obliged and I slept until about 9:30 when I decided that I should probably get up and go to work for a little while.

Friday night we went out with my friend Kristi and her family to the Texas Roadhouse in Wausau which is about a half hour drive from our house. Fun plan, but the weather was crappy which meant that the roads were crappy too! Crappier than I would have liked, but we made it and the restaurant was PACKED! Food was good and Ayden and the other two kids ate well. And the hubbies (well future hubby for me) seemed to bond.

Kristi and her family came over again on Sunday night for some pizza and Wii play. The kids had a great time playing together, which they should, I mean Kristi and I are SO playing the match maker mommy role, hehe! It was nice to get to hang out with another family for a little while since it doesn’t happen very often… that and that Ayden got to play with some other kiddos.

We also had Ayden’s first pine wood derby on Saturday for Cub Scouts. He came in first for the first race that he was in against two other cars. Super awesome… and then it was all down hill from there. He placed second in the next two races and that was enough to push him through to the second round. Unfortunately, he was third in all three races in the second round and placed 18th out of 36th. Not too bad for his first year and given the fact that Jay made his entire car. Way to go dad, thinking you have a pretty stellar car for your son and it doesn’t even come close to first place, haha! But Ayden was okay with that and wasn’t really that upset. It was neat for the first half hour, but after that point, it just got long and was unorganized and I got antsy. I don’t like sitting around someplace that I don’t really want to be.

I was naughty and didn’t take any pictures this weekend when I should have, but oh well. Actually, I should start pulling out my camera a little more because it has kind of gone into hibernation since Christmas. We just haven’t done a ton of cool things that I’ve felt the need to get the camera out to document.

Class is DRAGGING on today… another 40 minutes to go! UGH!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: