Monday, March 18, 2013

{17k COMPLETE!}



Before I jump full force into race day recap for you, I thought I would jibber jabber a little bit about the days leading up to race time. The rest of my week went on as usual. Victoria and I hit up hot yoga on Friday night. I did my challenge of the day exercises before yoga because I didn't want to have to be doing them getting home from Jay's parents at 9pm at night and I didn't want to miss doing them either. The only thing that I didn't do before yoga was my two minute plank because that I figured I could do after getting home from Jay's parents house. What's two minutes quickly before bed time? Yeah, I thought so to.


Yoga was great. I was looking forward to the nice warm room all day long and it didn't disappoint. The teacher kicked our butts though and I definitely got a good workout in. I don't usually sweat buckets at yoga (am I doing something wrong), but I was definitely dripping sweat on Friday. I even got my two minute plank in during class thanks to the teacher! I don't know if it was exactly two minutes or maybe even a little bit more, but I got at least close to two minutes in and then knew I wouldn't have to do it at home. Yoga is just so relaxing, I love it! Way more than I thought I was going to.

After yoga, Jay, the little man, and I headed over to his parents for some fish for supper. Jay's brother baked a northern for us. The one thing I love most about going to his parent's house (besides the good company and good food) is the fact that during the winter it is ALWAYS warm now. They have a wood burning fire place and that baby keeps the house WARM! Stepping into their house was like stepping back into the hot yoga studio! Everyone else was complaining it was too warm, but for me it was just right! Albeit, it would have been too hot for me to fall asleep in for the night as I think everyone likes it a little colder at night so they can cuddle with the blankets, but in any case, it was just so nice! And the food, oh the food! We had salads, cheesy broccoli soup, fish (which everyone else thought was good, but I could do without), mashed potatoes, and corn! Quite the feast and it was SO yummy! And then pudding and whipped cream for dessert! Fill that belly and yes I did!

Saturday Ayden had bowling in the morning and Jay and I had bowling at night. During the middle, we didn't do too much. I cleaned some at home, did some laundry, and then just relaxed as much as I could with the impending race on my mind. Jay made the most yummy potato soup for supper. I bowled three pretty decent games, and then we celebrated with blizzards from Dairy Queen. It was a pretty good day. I slept well that night, but I did end up dreaming about my race the entire time. Ugh, bad dreams!

And then enter... RACE DAY!

I had a bright and early wake up call. Actually, it wasn't bright when I woke up. It was still dark out. Ick, impending dark! I was excited for the race, especially since Victoria would be accompanying me for the first 5k! We got all decked out in our St. Patty's Day gear and got a pretty decent parking spot at the race starting location and then went to get our race bibs. I'd have to say that one of the best things about the pre race set up was that we were able to stay inside a warm building until right up to race time. It was cold yesterday morning, my friends, very cold! Like probably a whole 10 degrees at the beginning of the race. The sun may have been shining, but it sure wasn't warming us up very fast.

As everyone started to herd out to the starting line the nerves started to kick in. What the hell was I getting myself into?! A 10.5 mile run! My longest run to date prior was only 9 miles and I ran that two weeks prior!Before I knew it, everyone was off and going. Okay, here we go. The first mile to two miles, my feet and hands were cold, but before I knew it I was coming up on mile three where the 5kers split from the 17kers and I was on my way for the rest of the run. By this point the sun was shining full force and we were running straight into a slight wind. The ONLY good part about that was that we would be running with the wind on the way back. I picked a husband and wife couple that was right in front of me that I wanted to keep up with. I'm happy to report that the husband totally jacked me out of the water and finished probably a good minute or two before me and I ended up finishing about a minute ahead of the wife. (At least I think they were married.) In any case, they didn't know it, but they helped keep me going.

This race had lots of water/gatorade stops and despite my stubborn self trying to get the best of me and tell me that I didn't need to hydrate, I did grab some water at most of the stations. That is the only time I walked, for about the 15 seconds I was trying to gulp down some liquid goodness. I also popped some sport beans along the way too. This was only the second time I've tried the sport beans, so I haven't really formed a solid opinion on them yet. They taste good and I'd like to think they helped me. I do have some GU Chomps that I'd like to try out yet as well. 

I hit a pretty hard wall at about mile 9. It was mostly mental because I knew I was venturing into territory yet unran by myself (and I was going up hill at that point), but I kept pushing forward. I had a goal of finishing under two hours and I finished in 1:51:45.08 (yes, I looked up my official chip time)! I couldn't believe it! What made it all the more special was that not only was Victoria cheering me on at the finish line, but Jay, little man, both of Jay's parents, Jay's mom's parents, and my mom had shown up to cheer me on as well (in the bitter cold)! How awesome is that? Do I have the best family or what?! 

After quickly eating half a banana and stretching a little bit, we all headed home. I just wanted a warm shower! Unfortunately, I didn't realize the amount of stress and strain I had put my body through and by the time I attempted to get out of my car 40 minutes later, I was walking like I needed a cane or something. S.O.R.E. doesn't not begin to explain what I was feeling. We headed to my sister's house for some lunch and ice cream cake to help celebrate my mom's birthday that was a few weeks ago and then I spent the rest of the afternoon curled up in a warm bed not moving a muscle.

For the first time since decided to run a half marathon next month, I actually think it is possible. I started out this thing called running with no idea how it would go. Me, a runner. Hell no! Me, run a mile. Hell no! Yet, I pushed forward like no one was holding me back and I've run double digits in one run. Double freaking digits! Bring it on 13.1, I will make you my bitch!

(Pictures to come!)

CIAO! LOVE ME!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so proud of you Ashley! You are a force to be reckoned with! That half is going to be NOTHING. Walk in the park....

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com