Saturday, May 4, 2013

{dream in color 5k}

Today my sister, Emily, her boyfriend, John (Ayden’s most favorite person right now), Ayden, my bestie, Victoria, her son, Parker, and myself ran/walked the Dream in Color 5k and we ALL had an absolute BLAST!

If you recall, I was supposed to do the Color Run 5k with Victoria on New Years Day; however, I was deathly ill, so I couldn’t. She ran alone and rocked her very first 5k in absolute freezing weather, like literally, and has never turned back! That girl rocks my socks off!

Anyways, once I found this race was going on near us (and in warmer weather), I knew we just HAD to do it and we would take the little men in our lives along… AND I would almost force my sister and John to do it as well. I mean, afterall, they were both training to run a 5k at some point in the future anyways, why not get them started with something uber fun?! Yeah, I thought so!

So, this morning, we were all off to have some fun!

This was my pre-race get up. I was SO hoping to wear capri tights and just the tanktops, but mother nature wasn’t having it and so I layered up and kept warm instead! Smart choice on my part and I actually even put my race shirt over the tanks as well. Worked out nice!20130504_071940I can’t speak for Emily or John, but I had no pre-race jitters for this event. Maybe it was because I had done a few before, maybe it was because I knew we’d be walking most of it, maybe it was because I had my favorite little man with me… who knows… I just know that we were all excited and ready to go!

20130504_08535520130504_085409

I had told Emily and John that I didn’t know how much Ayden would actually run and that if they wanted to go ahead of us at any point we would be totally fine with it. I had to stick with the little man and I was okay with that. We were just doing the run/walk for fun anyways. They let groups of about 50-60 go every few minutes and we were in the third group to get let out.

We all started out running at a slow jog and made it maybe a quarter of a mile before Ayden needed to walk. Fine by me! I told him he set the pace and it stayed that way for maybe the next half mile, haha! I realized I forgot to start my watch at the beginning of the race, so we were half a mile short upon finish, but that’s okay.

We ran through the first color station (and everyone there after). Shortly before the first station, Emily and John took off from us and ran ahead. After the first color station I decided to set the pace for Ayden and I. And by that I mean, I let us walk for a bit, then run for a bit, then walk, then run. We always ran nice and slow, although Ayden wanted to always go faster. I probably asked him every two minutes how he was doing. He surprised me. Every time we walked, I would say, okay, let’s walk until this point, then run. Once we started to run, I’d say, let’s run until here and then walk. It was never very far for either and if he needed to walk while we were running, we slowed down. My dear readers, my son AMAZED me! He did absolutely awesome! I am SO proud of him! SO proud!

20130504_09573520130504_095755

20130504_095851We figure we finished the actual length of the 5k in just over 40 minutes! Amazeballs job to Emily and John and Ayden! They all rocked their first 5k! SO proud of everyone! I think they all had just as great of time as I did, at least I hope so! Ayden has decided that he wants to run a 5k with me at the end of the summer and I think I have Emily and John talked into it as well! I need to get them hooked too! I found us a perfect local 5k to do in August! And just to prove to me that little man has it in him, this afternoon while we were out at the park he ran the entire way around the track without stopping! Another proud mommy moment!20130504_113801Meanwhile, Victoria and Parker were also making their way through the course. Parker’s little legs had them going at a slower pace, but they finished strong and full of color as well! Everyone did it! 3.1 miles in bright and early on a Saturday morning! 20130504_10230820130504_102424

And of course it wouldn’t be official unless Victoria and I got an end of the race picture!20130504_102343Gosh, what a wonderful start to the weekend!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: