Thursday, February 10, 2011

Diesel Kitty

IMG_3663IMG_3735We’ve had our cat for almost four years. Ayden picked him out from a farm… an all black cat, its like asking for trouble, right?! And boy does he live up to his ‘all black cat’ urban legend! He is more fiesty than lover, he is more get in your way than sit nicely in your lap, and he is definitely more bug me than bug Jay or Ayden.

Jay and Ayden (and sometimes myself) love the cat. Mostly I just think of him as a cat, but Jay and Ayden consider him more part of the family. Okay, I suppose that is fine.

Diesel has been a pretty low maintenance cat for the first four years of his life. We had him declawed in the front and neutered shortly after got him and haven’t been back to the vet since… until today!

Jay noticed yesterday that Diesel had been more lethargic than usual, he wasn’t chasing us like normal, coming into our bedroom at night, and crying when Jay picked him up. We pretty much decided that he needed to be taken to the vet this morning… I mean, the last thing I wanted was to have to worry about a sick cat all weekend while Jay was gone.

I dropped Ayden off and school, headed to clinic, and Jay took care of the cat. He took Diesel to the vet and they looked at him. Turned out he had some crystals blocking his urinary tract and that he would need some antibiotics to help. Vet bill… $186! Boo! I told Jay that I would be willing to pay up to $500 for any procedures that needed to be done on the cat, but after that, I didn’t think it would be worth it. Not that we could really afford the $186 either, but Jay and I both felt that we needed to give it at least one shot.

Pending this happens again, we don’t think we will do anything about it, unfortunately… at least if it happens again anytime soon. We just can’t afford it right now. Boo again! I don’t want to have to put our cat down, but… that’s life I suppose. As bad as it sounds.

Diesel still isn’t acting quite like himself, but at least now he doesn’t have a bladder the size of a baseball and has started some medication. Hoping he is feeling better by the weekend! The last thing I want to do all weekend is worry about my sick cat. And in the mean time, while Jay is gone for the next six days, I have to force feed our cat three different medications for the next week! Ugh, don’t even want to think about it! But I suppose that if it makes him feel better and we get our spunky cat back, it will all be worth it!

Poor Diesel kitty!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: