Monday, February 21, 2011

Snowed IN!

Ayden had an extra long weekend! He didn’t have school last week on Thursday OR Friday and then because of the snow storm we had last night, he didn’t have school today either. Of course, even though we got a foot of snow last night, and it continued to snow lightly throughout the day, the campus remained open. Go figure. But, I was not brave enough to make it to any of my classes today.

We had Ayden signed up for the YMCA’s snow day program so that if we did run into a snow day, he would have some place to go. I knew when I woke up this morning that I wasn’t going to be going to my 8am class without even looking outside. The majority of the schools in the area had cancelled the night before. No way I was going to brave the roads before 8am when our town plows like crap. The only problem was I didn’t know if the Y would let me keep Ayden home until 1pm and then take him, since my next class of the day wasn’t until 2pm.

Jay just decided that he would stop at home and pick Ayden up with the plow truck and take him to the Y for me. At that point of the morning, I had all intentions of making it out of the house and going to my 2pm class, if not make it to work at noon as well. Well, noon rolled around the roads were still pretty crappy so I let my boss know that I wasn’t going to be making it in today. She had no problem with that because I had already warned her earlier that morning that it might be hit or miss with me. I still had plans to go to class though.

An hour later, I got my stuff together and headed out the door. I figured an hour to get across town and parked and to class was PLENTY of time because it only takes me five minutes to drive across town to campus from my place on a good day. I really just didn’t want to have to push myself. (And I’m habitually early to things ALL the time, it’s just who I am.)

Well, I back out of the garage onto the road and start heading down the street. I turn onto the next road that I need and am beginning to wonder what I am doing. I’m not even a block away from my house and yet I’m already starting to freak out. I mean, the roads in town were really bad and it was already 1 in the afternoon… they should have been fine! Nope! Our town literally sucks balls at plowing! Even the main roads weren’t clear! I turn onto the next road that I need to be on, it’s a little busier and I thought it would have a little less snow… nope! It was as I was approaching the stop light at a snails pace and I could feel my car sliding that I decided enough was enough. I turned right at the stop light, headed back around the block and right back into my garage. To heck with class today! Definitely NOT worth it.

Yes, I will admit that I am a chicken to the fullest extent when it comes to winter driving. I do not have the experience driving in it that a Wisconsin driver maybe should, but I honestly don’t give a hoot about that. I was not willing to put myself, or my car, in the danger of not making it to campus. Could I have made it to campus, probably, but I would have been petrified the whole time while I was driving. So, yes, I am definitely a chicken in the winter months when it comes to driving and when I have car with tires that are not made for winter driving, it makes me all the more chicken.

Jay has been working since 1:00am this morning and it is now almost 5pm. Over 12 hours of work! Okay, so I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t that long, I know people work 12 hours or more on a daily basis. And actually, its good for him because we need the money and he hasn’t been working for a while since we haven’t gotten a lot of snow in the last couple of weeks. He probably won’t be home until 6 or 7pm and then will probably be going back out around 2 or 3am tomorrow morning and working another long day and then he needs to go to Appleton for a consult with the oral surgeon for getting his wisdom teeth removed.

I am praying that the roads are much better by tomorrow. I have to drive to my off campus placement in the morning and would like to make it there without having a panic attack!

The clinic director for our program emailed all of the audiology students today and I thought it was a very rude email. She emailed the audiology students a few weeks back with the opportunity to do some hearing screenings at some schools with another audiologist. Apparently none of the 12 students emailed her back saying they would be willing to help. Keep in mind, we are doing this on our own time. I admit that I didn’t even think twice about the screenings. I didn’t particularly want to help, nor do I really have the time to help. I checked the 8 times that she emailed us that screenings were going on. Of the eight times, I think only three were Fridays (the only day that the second and third years have available because we have classes on Mondays and Wednesdays and all day clinic on Tuesdays and Thursdays). Also, of the 8 times, two of them were during our spring break. Who wants to do school stuff during spring break?!

The thing I found rude was how she emailed us. She blatantly put in there that since none of us signed up for it, we couldn’t complain when we couldn’t reach our 50 needed ours of education experience. But… I recall her telling myself and my classmate that we would have NO problem reaching our 50 hours during our educational placement, NO problem AT ALL! Ugh! Maybe it doesn’t sound so bad on here, but it just rubbed me the wrong way, especially after we got a rude email from one of our professors just the week before. The thing is… they preach and preach and preach to us about professionalism and then they don’t show us it! Pisses me off is what it does!

I spent my day doing nothing, so productive right?! I should be getting a head start on some of the projects that will be coming due in a few weeks time, but I’m too lazy. Yes, among being chicken to drive in the winter, I’m in a lazy streak. It’s the craptastic weather we’ve been having. I’m SO ready for Spring and the warmer weather. To get outside, to be warmer, to open the windows, to not have to deal with the snow, to not have to wear winter coats or boots or hats and mittens, to just feel not so stuck inside! I’m sure anyone else stuck inside all winter feels the same too.

Soon enough, I suppose! A month away from our mini spring break with my friend Kristi and her family! I am SO stoked about it! Three more weeks until the first week of our two week spring break! Although, we have some assignments during those two weeks. Maybe that is what I should be focused on, getting those done. I suppose maybe I could start some of that this week since I don’t have a whole lot going on this week homework wise. Just maybe, haha!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: