Sunday, February 20, 2011

Unbelievable Stories

I was supposed to join Ayden and Jay at ‘home’ this weekend. They left on Thursday afternoon before I got home from clinic and I was going to leave Friday afternoon after work for a weekend away from our place. I was really looking forward to it because I have spent the last three weekends at our house and well everyone knows that after a while you get stir crazy and need out. Maybe not so much for those who live close to family or are super busy on weekends, but it happens to me.

We don’t have super busy weekends (for the most part) and I like that, but we also don’t live close to home and don’t get to see our families very much. After a few weeks of spending weekends at our place, I start to itch to get out and socialize with others. So… I was ready to spend the weekend just away from our house. I was going to go with Jay’s mom and Ayden to the sectional wrestling tournament in Milwaukee on Saturday while Jay was sturgeon fishing and then we all were going to go on the lake on Sunday.

Mother Nature had different plans. A snow storm was going to move in on Sunday and Jay thought it would probably be best for me to stay home so I wouldn’t have to drive in it and I wasn’t going to go ‘home’ just for Saturday. Driving to and from Milwaukee and then back to Point was going to be just too much driving in one day for me, especially when I could have a weekend at home by myself. The weekend at home alone beat out my need for wanting to get out of the house.

I worked for a little while on Friday morning and then went to the library to grab a few books for my weekend home alone. The thing is, I finished all of my homework on Thursday night so I could leave for the weekend and not have to worry about anything school related. That left me with an entire weekend free (and alone). I got two books from the library for entertainment reading and five or six books on photography to look at.

After the library, I went to pick up my friend, Kristi, because we were going to Olive Garden and to a movie that afternoon. The food was delicious, but we failed to be cognizant of the time and didn’t realize that we were first getting our food at 1:10 when our movie was going to start at 1:20. Oops! The next movie didn’t start until almost 4:00 and Kristi didn’t want to be gone that long so we decided to just go shopping instead. There was a Barnes and Noble right next to Olive Garden and an Old Navy and Gordman’s across the street.

I wanted to look for a specific book at Barnes and Noble, but unfortunately they didn’t have it. (Will have to order it on Amazon since they don’t have it out for the Kindle yet either.) But as we were going to head out I came across two books that immediately grabbed my attention. The first one was called Inconceivable.inconceivableThis is a book about a family who was undergoing fertility treatments to expand their family. They had already had two children naturally and then after 10 years of infertility problems they had one daughter through IVF. They had decided to give the rest of their frozen embryos a chance at life and had gone back to their fertility clinic for a frozen embryo transplant. Something went terribly wrong and the woman was implanted with another couple’s frozen embryos. And guess what… one embryo stuck, the woman was pregnant, and they couldn’t keep the baby because the genetic parents wanted him. The book is all about their journey and it was written SO great! The story in and of itself was unbelievable and oh SO sad. I could feel the emotion coming off the page. This apparently was all over the news about a year and a half ago when it finally leaked, but we don’t get the local channels and so I don’t watch much news, which would be why I hadn’t known about it until now. This book was just released a few weeks ago.

Apparently the genetic parents wrote a book as well. I’ve read a few reviews that say that it isn’t as good as the above one, but I won’t judge yet. There are always two sides to a story and people experience things differently. Both families wanted to tell their stories and they did. I am hoping to get the other one (Misconception) through an interlibrary loan and read it. MisconceptionThe other book that I couldn’t pass up at Barnes and Noble was Heave is for Real. This is a story about a little boy’s trip to heaven and back. I’m currently only about half way through it and it is really good too. I haven’t read any books for pleasure in a couple of weeks and these were both really fast reads. I’m hoping to finish this one by tonight… I mean it didn’t take me too long to get halfway through it since I started it this morning. My only mistake was buying the actual book from the store and not getting them on my Kindle because they are both available on it and it would have saved me probably $15. Alas, sometimes it does feel good to have a real book in your hands. Anyways, I still have the two books from the library that I want to finish as well. One is only a one week rental and it cost me a $1, so I have to finish it by next Friday or pay another $1 for it to renew it. I think I’ll probably be able to finish it, I don’t think I have any big assignments due this week. 0849946158I’m currently watching Titanic for the second time this weekend. Oh how I LOVE this movie! I think my very favorite part is either when Rose changes her mind and her and Jack are at the front of the boat or the very last scene after Rose dies and goes back to the boat and the passengers meet her and she finds Jack waiting at the clock. This movie is just SO romantic. I can’t get enough of it. I haven’t seen it in a while. I watched pretty much the whole thing from beginning to end last night… the whole four and half hours it was on (because of stupid commercials). But thanks to the power of DVR… I paused it and got a few things done in between and then would come back to it so I wouldn’t have to watch commercials. I hate commercials.

The music of this movie pulls me in too and sometimes I find myself going back to when the movie first came out and remember myself laying in my bed at my dad’s old house listening to Celine Dion’s song on the radio. Not afraid to admit, I’ll probably always love this movie. It’s addictive! At least to me!

Keeping my fingers crossed that the snow stops soon! Really don’t want to have to deal with it tomorrow morning, although I know I probably will have to. UGH!

Until next time…

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: