Wednesday, March 14, 2012

{to tip...or not to tip}

*I'm not writing this to start some debate, just expressing my own feelings and opinions.*
What got me thinking about this whole topic was a simple trip to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream with the little man. (That, and a picture I saw on facebook of a some chick complaining about not getting a tip at her job.) We waited in line, gave our order, and got some ice cream all in about five minutes. I went to go pay and used my debit card as a credit card and got the slip to sign. On the slip there was a spot for a tip. A tip. At Cold Stone. Were they really expecting me to tip them? Did they deserve a tip? When did this start? Should I tip?

I did. I tipped one dollar, despite my feelings against it. Did I think the girl who scooped my sons ice cream into a bowl for a full thirty seconds deserved a tip, nope. Sorry, but I didn't. That's her job. Scoop ice cream. I have some mixed feelings about how much I should tip at restaurants. Part of me thinks I shouldn't tip anything. It is these people's job to serve me food. Why should they get extra from me? Well... they only get paid like $2.50 an hour, so they kind of depend on tips for the rest of their wages. I get that and so I do tip.

Where I get shady on is who all deserves a tip these days? I mean, if we tip waitresses for bring us our food, shouldn't we tip the baggers at the grocery store too, I mean they are providing us a service too and really, both of them are doing their job as they should. I tip my hair dresser (she deserves it... LOVE HER!), but should I tip the chick at Cost Cutters who waxes my eye brows? She is just doing her job, and it only takes ten minutes... if she does deserve a tip for ten minutes of work, what kind of tip should it be? Sometimes I'm flabbergasted.

I provide a service when I'm at clinic, shouldn't I be tipped? Doctor's provide a service, shouldn't they be tipped? When does it stop?!

Like I said, I tip at restaurants, I know that the servers get paid measley and need the tips, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it, does it? They may bring us our food, refill our drinks, act friendly, make sure we are doing okay, but that isn't ANY different than me seeing a patient and cleaning his or her ears because they are dirty, acting friendly and chatting with a patient, fixing their hearing aid, doing a hearing test. We are both doing a service to people. It is OUR job to do that sort of stuff. So, shouldn't I get tipped too?!

The next time I go to Cold Stone... no tip. Sorry, someone who serves me some ice cream there doesn't deserve a tip anymore than the person who serves me at Culvers and they don't have a tip line on their reciept.

Just my opinion...

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: