Thursday, August 16, 2012

{unconventional}

It isn't new news that Jay and I did everything in an unconventional manner (so far, in our relationship). Heck, even how we started dating was unconventional. The guy crashed my car into a tree!

Was our path rooted from the beginning that we would be different? I'm not all superstitious like that, but maybe!

Our relationship from the beginning was the typical high school relationship, and then I got pregnant. Oops?!

Then we moved to Stevens Point and went to college. I graduated, he graduated, I started grad school...

We 'got engaged' a couple of years ago. There was no specific date, no actual proposal, just decided. Well, in reality, I was perusing Craigslist one night, found a ring I liked in a price we could afford at that time and told Jay that that was what I wanted and we could become engaged. Up until that point we had somewhat talked marriage together, but it was always me that wanted to wait. I had even specifically told Jay before that, that if he asked me to marry him that I would say 'no'. Great, right?! And then I realized that I didn't know what I was waiting for, that my one and only was and always had been standing right in front of me. So, we bought the ring and became 'officially engaged' (despite the fact that at that time, the wedding would still be years and years away).

For a long time I didn't mind that I didn't get the whole big proposal thing. Jay and I just don't do things like everyone else, so it was really no surprise to me that we randomly got engaged. Not to mention that it took almost forever to answer the 'When is the wedding?' question with something other than 'Oh, sometime after I graduate (again!)' to 'September 21, 2013' and for that to not sound like light years away. Now I can say with ease, 'Oh, next September' and be excited about it.

I was in love with my ring... the simplicity of it. It wasn't ultra big, but I liked it. IMG_5145Until recently, when I started to feel the pull to get something of my own. I have nothing against the fact that I got a 'used' ring. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. But always moving forward is my motto and after almost five years with my current ring, I wanted to upgrade. I talked with Jay about it and he said that I could upgrade if I paid for it myself. What?! Bummer! However, I figured almost as much and knew I would have enough money from my photography set aside by late October and was set to find a ring come that time. I had plans on turning my current set and a necklace I didn't wear very often in for trade in value and knew I would get at least a few hundred dollars for that.

A couple of weeks ago, as I was on my way home on a Friday night, I called Jay to let him know that I wanted to go to Walmart to check for Ayden's birthday present and pick up a few groceries when I got home. Ayden was already gone camping with Jay's parents, so we were child free for the night. As we were headed to my car, I told Jay that he was driving because I had just driven from work and didn't want to drive anymore. We got in the car and we headed out in the opposite direction of Walmart. Um, okay? Where are we going?

Unbeknownst to me, Jay thought it might be a good idea to surprise me with a trip to Kay Jewelers to look at rings... just look, don't buy. Hmm, okay?! We can look, I suppose. I had it in my head I wasn't going shopping until late October, but now is fine, just to look. Not buy.

Or not.

Needless to say, we ended up buying, both a new bridal set for me and a wedding ring for Jay. The rings were on sale and I couldn't pass up the deal. And, Jay ended up getting a Kay's credit card and our first payment wouldn't be due until the end of September. I already had about 1/4 of the amount saved up and will have another 1/4 saved by the end of October. So already half of it is already paid for. Needless to say, I ended up getting something that cost more than I had originally planned, haha! But I got a TON more for my ring than I had thought I would. Hehe, but I didn't go overboard.

Actually, I didn't even pick it out. I picked out two sets that I liked and then left the store and let Jay pick out which one I was going to get. I like a little surprise in my life sometimes. Plus, I couldn't really decide on which one I liked best and wanted Jay to pick it out for me. It took over a week for the rings to come in and during that time my finger felt SO naked, like seriously, cover me up naked! I have been wearing a ring on that finger for the last how many years and it has become a part of me and now there is nothing there.

So, when the rings finally came in, I couldn’t wait to see what Jay had decided upon. I was hoping for some super sweet actual proposal this time around, but didn’t get one. That’s okay though, it’s Jay, wasn’t really expecting it. On the other hand though, Jay did did get me some roses on the same night he gave me my ring and he told me that he would ‘love me until the last petal fell’. I thought it was super cute and then he told me that I didn’t ‘get it’. Little did I know that one of the roses was fake, so the last petal would never fall and therefore he would love me forever. Mushy gushy! (Although, I highly doubt he came up with that himself, it was still super cute!) I don’t get flowers very often from him, so this was special.

And now… some pictures of my new ring! I know that you’ve probably just scrolled down this far to see them anyways. Hehe!IMG_5692The whole set… 401 days until I get to wear the other two rings!IMG_5694IMG_5695IMG_5700The pretty roses!IMG_5701IMG_5703And maybe it’s bad luck to take a picture of your wedding rings before the actual wedding, but I don’t believe in all of that jinxing stuff, so I had to take a few pictures of my ring and Jay’s ring already… sue me, I love ring pictures, hehe!IMG_5729IMG_5730IMG_5735IMG_5741You likey? Me likey!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: