Tuesday, February 7, 2012

{pen pals}

Today has the potential to be a long day. I am starting out my second week of clinic and it is at a sister facility from the one that I was at last week. There are potentially three different places that I could be visiting, although I will primarily be only at two of them. I say that it could be long because there are just a few breaks in our schedule. During said breaks (especially lunch), I often use that time to go on my tablet or my phone and do things online. Apparently all of the medical buildings around here have craptastic service for my phone because whenever I enter one (even if I am near a window), I get jack for reception. Normally these facilities have a free wi-fi connection that I can tap into; however, this place's connection SUCKS and it will not connect to my laptop and therefore I am unable to connect to do anything that requires a connection... namely everything I would like to do on my tablet. Oh well... maybe it is a good thing then that we have a relatively busy schedule for the day, right?!

I must tell you about this insane new show that Jay (and his friend JT) have gotten me hooked on. It isn't all that new of a show because I guess the first season was aired in 2010, but new enough and now that we are trying out Netflix for a month I can watch the whole first season and DVR the secoond season until I get caught up. So far they have only played two episodes in the second season so I am not that far behind. The show is called Spartacus and it airs on Starz (I believe). When I watched the first episode or two I thought it was pretty dumb. It is about gladiators in the Roman time and there is a lot of cussing and nudity in the show. Definitely not something we can watch while Ayden is up or nearby. That stuff sort of bugged me at first, but now I just look past it to the story line. I have to say that Jay's friend JT was right when he said that I would have to watch the first couple of episodes to get sucked in. It is truly a dumb and fascinating story all at the same time. I say dumb because just after you get into the show and start liking someone, they go ahead and KILL THEM OFF! So far they have killed off two of my favorite people and from what Jay says, they are going to kill another important person off in the next episode, ugh! It sucks and yet I still watch it! Why do I torture myself?!

A few weeks ago I happened upon a blog that was talking about pen pals and from there I happened upon another blog that had a pen pal group. I remember being in grade school and having pen pals and thought it was the neatest thing to get letters in the mail at that age... plus I formed some awesome friendships. I actually kept in touch with two of my pen pals from Australia for quite some time and still am friends with one from South Africa and one from Israel on facebook. Cool, huh?! So, I emailed the lady in charge of creating the groups to see if the pen pal exchange was still going on and she said that it was and put me in a group! I got the list of people in my pen pal group yesterday. They are all girls (not that I was expecting any guys). One is from California, New Jersey, Pennsylvannia, and get this... the last one on the list was a girl named Ashley... from... none other than Menasha, Wisconsin. What are the odds of being put into a group with someone who not only has the same name as me, but who also lives only an hour(ish) from where I live?! Cool, no?! I thought so. I was so excited that I wrote them all letters last night. I am hoping to gain some wonderful new freinds out of this experience and honestly, who doesn't love getting something in the mail that isn't a bill or another credit card application. Yeah, that is what I thought!

Oh and guess what, because I am continuing to write this as my day progresses and I have a free minute here and there between patients, I finally got my tablet to hook up to the wi-fi system in the building. I don't know why it wouldn't hook up in the first place, but it works now, although my phone continues to have sucky reception! I suppose I will survive... haha!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: