Monday, September 14, 2009

Sharing Gone Wrong

I can’t remember if I talked about my first clinic session or not. But I see that my last post talked about how long my Wednesdays are (and well they haven’t gotten any shorter, ugh!) so I figure that I didn’t. I’ll start with Thursday then because, well that is where the ‘sharing gone wrong’ goes into affect.

So… last Thursday was my first clinic slot. Dustin (my mentor) and I had two hearing aid checks and then the UMOS screenings for the little kids. Hearing aid checks went well and UMOS went a lot faster than any of us had expected. We had almost 30 little ones that needed to have their ears checked and then tymps and possibly OAEs ran (if they passed their tymps). Not many passed their tymps… most likely lots of possible ear infections.

Thursday night… I can’t really remember what I did. Apparently not that interesting since I can’t remember.

Friday morning… I had lab that ran from 9-11am and it lasted just about the entire time. It was good, but I didn’t really want to be there for the whole time. It’s a Friday, you know, and I didn’t really want to spend time on campus if I didn’t have to. After class I went over to work for a while and then came home for the rest of the afternoon before Ayden got home from school.

After I got home, I ate some of our left over Pizza Hut pizza and a yummy chocolate bar before getting the laundry done and hung out. The rest of the afternoon went pretty smoothly. Cleaned a little, packed for the weekend, took care of folding and putting away all of the laundry that hadn’t been put away for over a week. Just your normal afternoon, and even night. Actually, Ayden and I went to bed kind of early.

I laid down to watch Twilight and fell asleep about half way through it. Thought it was going to be a good night. Getting to bed early since we had to be up early for Ayden’s first soccer game Saturday morning. Wrong!!!

I woke up probably around midnight feeling like crap! I’ll spare the details, but multiple trips to the bathroom later and a few hours later, I was on the couch catching a few hours of z’s before the sun rose. It sucked! Only plus I guess… that I wasn’t running a fever and it didn’t last for more than a day.

I didn’t go to Ayden’s soccer game Saturday morning (it started at 8:30am) because I still wasn’t feel the greatest and I was still pretty tired. It was a bummer, but I sent my camera along with Jay to catch some moments and he did! I didn’t know if I was going to go along for the weekend to the Dells because I didn’t want to get anyone else sick and didn’t know if I was going to feel the greatest. The last thing I wanted to do was spend the weekend sick not at home.

While Ayden was at soccer, I managed to get up and shower and finish some packing. I still didn’t feel 100%, but I didn’t ‘get sick’ anymore so I decided to go along. I ate a few crackers, but that was it.

The rest of the weekend went pretty good. I didn’t feel 100% on Saturday, but still had a pretty decent time out on the boat with Jay’s family. We didn’t catch a single thing, but always love riding the boat, especially when the water is calm and the sun is shining. Ayden got a little crabby, but it was to be expected.

Sunday I felt more normal and ate a little more, but didn’t want to chance anything.

Monday… today…

I had an 8am class today and went in a little early. It is just easier to leave at the same time Jay and Ayden do. Because I leave when they do, but don’t go with them to drop Ayden off, I get to campus about 20 minutes before class starts. During that time… guess what?!

I find out that we had some ‘sharing gone bad’ on our hands. Ha, I don’t really care if that makes sense or not. My classmate Katie starts telling me how she got sick Friday night. I was like ‘no way, me too!’ And while we were talking, we found out another girl got sick as well! And then… one of our professors was sick and had cancelled his 8am class today. Turns out (or looks like) the little ones from UMOS last Thursday ‘shared’ their illness with us! As well, two other classmates were ill over the weekend too. Of course it could be something else that was going around, I mean we are all around each other enough, but that is the common link between all of us, especially given that one of the girls is a ‘speechie’ and doesn’t have the same classes as us, but helped us with the screenings last week.

Poor Katie has more screenings to go to tomorrow and then we have more on campus on Thursday. Since my clinic slot is on Thursday, I HAVE to be there, but if there are the same amount of children this week as last week, Katie will most likely have to come as well. Ugh, I mean these kids are super cute and all, but none of us can afford to be sick at this point in time.

Luckily I’m feeling pretty much back to normal today. The aud grad students are having a get together supper tomorrow night at a restaurant called El Mezcal. It is a Mexican restaurant and I don’t particularly LOVE that kind of food, but I’ve said that before about certain food and my favorite restaurant is now Hu Hot. So, I’m looking forward to it… getting to know the third years a little better since I’ve talked to the second years quite a bit now, and trying some new food. Should be a good night. Jay and Ayden are going to stay home, which is fine with me. It might turn into a long night anyways and Wednesdays are early mornings for us.

Tomorrow will be nice for me, as was this afternoon. I don’t have class and there are no pre reports that need to be done. So it is off to work for a little while and then coming on home. I checked the schedule for tomorrow and didn’t think I saw any hearing evals on it, and I will need to do one of those either this week or next. I saw one for next Tuesday in the afternoon and quite possibly will do that one. We’ll see.

Okay, so this has been kind of random. Hope you are having a good Monday!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: