Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Teeth and Cavities

One more day and my week is over... I hate to even mention it, but I am sort of kind of maybe just a little bit looking forward to grad school starting. I mean, I LOVE coming home at the end of the day and not having hours of homework to worry about, tests to study for, clinic to fret over... but I love the sense of organization and purpose it brings into my life. I love my job and all, but it is just that, a job. It is not something one could do forever, well at least not me (although I'm sure my boss wouldn't mind keeping me around). School means I am getting somewhere in life. I cannot wait to be done and do something a little different each day. I know that I have a LOT to learn about audiology yet, but I'm already in love with it. Honestly, I think I'm a little obsessed with ears (or at least the inner workings) right now and I'm sure if I had my own otoscope (you know, those things doctors use to look in your ears with) I'd be wanting to check out everyone's ears! I know, crazy weird, right... but that is just me! As much as I am a shy quiet pretty non-outspoken person (at least in person most of the time)... I am getting more and more used to the fact that my job is going to revolve around people interaction and having clinic last year really helped me move out of my shell some more! As much as I dreaded clinic last fall... it was a great experience and I am not as nervous about starting clinic this fall... that and it will only be one time a week (at least for the fall semester).

So, I can't remember if I mentioned anything about the scrapbook that I am trying to make for Ayden's 5th birthday. I think I might have, but anyways... okay, so instead of rewriting it all, I went and checked my old posts, and indeed, I did mention it. I've been a slacker lately though. With all of the new techniques that I have been learning, I haven't been up to making any pages, but that is hopefully going to change. My biggest problem is designing layouts because even though I'm oh so talented (hey, it's my blog, I can talk myself up just a little, right?! hehe!) I am lacking in the creative juices that some of those other awesome scrapbookers have! My solution... googling sample page ideas and going from there. I can gain ideas that way and create my pages. I have themes that I want... ie: christmas, family events, outings, etc... but not the uber cool brains to put together awesome pages! But... with some hard work, okay I lied, photoshop makes everything pretty easy and awesome... I am going to try my best to have the photobook completed by Aug 1st. I would like at least 20-30 scrapbook pages and then some pages with just pictures. Wish me luck!

With yesterday being kind of a blahgh day, I've set out to make today better. I did finish my book last night. It was pretty good and I am glad that I read it. Besides, 340 pages is nothing to read in one day... okay so it might be, but I wanted to know how it ended and it only took until about 11pm to find out. I may or may not start reading another one today. Probably not so I don't end up spending the day reading and not with Ayden.

Speaking of my darling son... he had a little tantrum this morning before we were leaving for school. He has it in his head that he is old enough to stay home alone while mommy goes to work. I tried to reason in my head that he was just tried and didn't want to stop what he was doing to go to school. And most likely that is what it was, but dealing with a crabby kid in the morning is definitely no fun! He cried and I offered up the suggestion of taking a nap in the afternoon if he was going to act that way... didn't stop the bad attitude, but it didn't curb the crying and refusing to put his sandals on. He pouted all the way to school, but then it was like a switch was flipped and he couldn't stop talking about all sorts of different things.

Which reminds me... he is still on this kick that he is going to get a brother or sister soon (does he know something I don't... I hope not) and even said that he wanted to pick out some names for said brother or sister. Well, so far he has come up with the name Austin for a brother. I have NO idea where he got that name from since we don't even know any Austins. Well, we have a cousin name Austin, but not one that we see very often that I think Ayden would remember the name from. Maybe he has an Austin in his summer school class, I don’t know. He said that he didn’t have a girl name yet and that he would have to think about that a little more. I just thought it was too cute.

On the bad mother side of things, I’m afraid my son has a cavity. I admit that I haven’t taken Ayden to the dentist yet. The sites I read say that you should take your child to the dentist by age one… he will be five in a little over a month. I don’t really have any good reason for not taking him yet, other than it hasn’t been on the top of my list. We have a great pediatric dentist here in Point, I’ve just been on the slacker side of things getting a hold of them. Although, my one little excuse could be that we don’t have dental insurance that visiting the dentist is by no means cheap! We have medical assistance, however most dentists do not accept that. An initial visit to the dentist would probably run us over $200 (and that’s without getting any work done, but just a cleaning and x-rays)! Honestly, to us that is a lot of money, but shouldn’t Ayden’s teeth be pretty important as well! Of course! I’d like to say that he doesn’t eat a lot of sweets, and in truth, I don’t think we overdo it at our house. Probably more on the juice than anything. He does brush his teeth every night, but I am not in there making sure he’s an excellent brusher either.

Well, today after lunch he told me that his tooth hurt when he was biting on a his straw. I thought it was just because he was biting on his straw that was hurting his tooth, but after taking him into the bathroom and looking at it with the light and trying to brush away the spot I was seeing, I realized that it was probably a cavity, especially since he told me that it was hurting.

I feel bad as a mom for not getting him in sooner, for letting him get a cavity, just like I should have been better on top of it. I know that a cavity isn’t the end of the world… the majority of individuals have had one or more (me included)… just something I feel I should have been better about. Okay, I won’t sit here and dwell on it. Life goes on and a cavity won’t kill him… let’s just hope it doesn’t hit the bank hard either.

Ugh!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

1 comments:

amanda said...

four kids. zero dentist visits. that's all. :0)