Sunday, February 14, 2010

Randomness

I haven’t really felt like sitting down these past few days to do any real writing. I’ve meant to and then I get on the computer and start with Facebook and then read my blogs and then catch up on the photography forum I frequent, and by the time I am done with all of that, the ambition I started out with when I turned my computer on to blog is gone and I just sit trying to find other stuff to do online. So tonight, I decided that I would blog about everything that I have been meaning to this past week, or at least try to.

It was a busy week, but then again, they’ve all seemed pretty busy since the beginning of the semester. Spending a lot more time on campus that I did in the fall, but it really isn’t stressing me out (yet). I’m learning lots and lots about my field and I love it. I know that I should be doing more reading (actually start my readings), but I haven’t the motivation for that, especially after spending all day on campus everyday.

We had this really long lab this past week… we had to hook some hearing aids up to the computer test box thingy and check to see if the hearing aid was within the manufacturers specifications. Needless to say, all three of us first years ended up doing the lab over probably three different times because we wanted to make sure we got everything correct. I ended up only getting a point and a half taken off so not bad… not bad at all!

I also had clinic twice this week. Overall it went really good since the slot on Tuesday was highly shortened and then on Thursday I didn’t have to do a whole lot. And the reports didn’t take all that long to type up and they didn’t need a lot of changes which made it even better!

On Friday we learned how to do ear mold impressions which was quite the experience! Long story short… Katie had a bad experience with a second year doing an impression on her that ended her up in the hospital being checked by an ENT to see if her ear drum was still intact. Thank goodness it was nothing worse than a scratch in her ear canal, but the blood definitely made it look a LOT worse! So, needless to say, Katie would not let us doing impressions on her, but if I were her, I’d be scared too. Amy did one on me and then Katie attempted to do one on Amy, but somehow putting the cotton block in and then taking it out to reposition it led to Amy’s ear canal to have two drops of blood and that meant no impression on her ear either.

But we practiced on dummy ears and then found some volunteers to let us use their ears! My very first impression on a human ear turned out GREAT! We need to do 10 impressions for the lab, 4 of which need to pass all of the criteria by the end of the week. Not hard since we have a bunch of volunteers who get extra credit for it in one of their classes. Plus, after doing it two times now (my second one turned out good, but not perfect), it is definitely not as bad as I thought it would be.

We also worked on our EcochG lab on Friday and I got to get hooked up with electrodes! I felt like a science experiment, but it was lots of fun being able to work with the machine a little more. We need to run the test on Amy yet, and Katie and myself need to get hooked up one more time to do the last part of the lab yet.

It’s looking to be a pretty busy week this week as well! We need to finish up our impressions, finish up our EcochG lab, Katie and I need to move lots of stuff from the first hearing aid lab to the second one, and then there is clinic. Wednesday night I’m going out to eat with my friends again and then going to see Blindside with one of them afterwards. It is playing on campus and free for students. Then Thursday I am taking the same friend’s daughter’s pictures and have Ayden’s parent teacher conference. I also have a test on Wednesday. The only good thing is that my 9am lab is cancelled on Friday for the next two weeks! I’m hoping to fit everything in!

Ayden and I have had a great weekend together… no daddy since Thursday morning. I’ve gone back and forth between being annoyed and not annoyed with Jay for the past four days. His friend JT spent the night on Wednesday and Jay was just not acting like himself and it really annoyed me. He didn’t even say goodnight to me. So, I was upset Thursday morning and made a point to not kiss him goodbye when I was leaving for school to see if would say anything about it before I left, but he didn’t. He didn’t even call when he left to go home with JT. And the to top it off… I got home from school on Thursday and Jay had left the house a mess. Okay, so it wasn’t a mess mess, but he left his coat on the couch, the computer chair sitting in the living room, a soda cup full of soda on the table, dirty clothes strewn on the bedroom floor, blankets JT had used not put away, and his old computer sitting out and the storage room in the basement in disarray. I was IRATE! I mean, he was going to be gone until late Monday night, what the F… seriously, its not like I was asking THAT much, was I? In any case, I left him a halfway nasty voicemail and decided I wasn’t going to talk to him until he got home.

That lasted all of until the second time he tried calling me that afternoon and a short convo left us in the good. And things were good until today. I even was happy because he said he would be home Sunday afternoon instead of Monday night since JT had to be home earlier! YEAH! That was until… he got a sturgeon this morning and decided to spend the ENTIRE day showing it to people. He had 5-5 1/2 hours of driving to do today and when does he leave to come back home… 4pm! So much for spending any time together today! It’s not even the fact that it’s Valentine’s Day or anything, I just thought we’d be able to get to spend some time together today. Guess not! Since by the time he gets home I’ll be in bed heading off to dream land.

I plan on getting up early tomorrow to head in to campus and start studying for my test since I got absolutely NOTHING done school related this weekend. So, going in early sounds like a good idea!

But, overall, Ayden and I had a great time together these last four days without Jay. Ayden was SO well behaved. Not that he normally misbehaves all of the time, but he does have his moments and I’m proud to say we didn’t have any of those this weekend. We have fun playing in shaving cream, racing monster trucks in the living room, cuddling in bed, doing a bit of shopping, taking pictures, being silly together! It was some great mommy and me time! And today, I had to get a few things from Walmart and told Ayden that he would get to pick out a little something from the store for being such a good boy for mommy.

Now, I know its probably not the ‘right’ thing to do… rewarding my child for being good since he should behave all of the time, right? And not expect anything, but I felt he deserved it because it was just him and me for a couple of days and sometimes I can just go bonkers and I didn’t this time and he really was good. So, I was all set for him to get some Star Wars legos like he had asked for. Well, instead we stopped at Michaels (the arts and crafts store) before Walmart because I was looking for something and happened upon these wooden model kits that kids could put together. They had a ton to choose from and came with everything you needed to make a wooden plane/car/train/etc… the parts, glue, paint, paint brush, etc… and they cost… $1! I was amazed they were SO cheap because they were really pretty cool! I took some pictures today, will have to upload them. Ayden decided he wanted one of these instead and being the nice mommy, I let him pick FOUR! After we got home, he put ALL four of them together BY HIMSELF! Not once did he ask for help and they all were put together CORRECTLY! I was so proud of him and we worked on them for probably an hour! It was so awesome seeing him sit there and work on them! He needed to follow the directions and everything!

Unfortunately, we had a bit of a break down tonight when Ayden mentioned going to see the monster trucks this year. We (Jay and I) decided we were going to pass that up this year and do something else. It just so happened that the monster truck show was last weekend when we went flying. When I told Ayden that we had missed the show, he broke down in the worst heart wrenching tears. I felt so bad for him. And then… he did the next worse thing than telling me he hated me (which I’m hoping doesn’t happen for a LONG time)… he stormed to his room! I let him take a breather and try to relax before I went and talked to him about it. He was still pretty upset with me, but calmed down enough to talk to me about it. I finally left him in his room, he didn’t want to come back out yet, and he ended up falling asleep for a while. I let him sleep for about 45 minutes and the needed to wake him up for supper. I knew that if I let him sleep through the night, he’d be up at 5am no longer tired and I really don’t want to get up that early tomorrow. He’s also getting a cold so I think that helped with him falling asleep while in there. I can tell that he’s pretty stuffed up. I hope that it doesn’t get worse and that I don’t catch it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I’m thinking since we didn’t do the whole monster truck thing this year, we might go to the Dells for a few days during spring break. I checked out one resort and they are having a great deal on room rates during our week of spring break. Unfortunately (well not for Ayden), we might need to take Ayden out of school for a day or two, but I’m not against that, it’s only kindergarten and for the cheap prices, oh yeah!

Oh… and I talked to my mom today about mine and Jay’s taxes, since she is doing them so kindly, totally going to have to take her out to eat for this, and she informed me that Jay will get a refund this year since we were freaked that he wouldn’t and we might have to pay in because he changed something on his W4 last year. Talk about a weight off of our shoulders because I was seriously thinking about taking the money I’m getting for my scholarship and paying rent for June, July, and August ahead of time just to make sure it got paid. Yes, that was how worried I was about making it through the summer money wise. But now, I’m not so concerned, thus the thinking about taking a little Dells mini vacation.

So, Jay just called and said that the friend picking JT up halfway to Minnesota from Point just went into the ditch and will be running late. Sounded like Jay was just going to keep driving until they met up somewhere, be it in the town they were supposed to, or farther towards Minnesota. Hope Jay doesn’t end up taking JT ALL the way home… then he won’t be home until midnight or later! UGH! Keeping my fingers crossed!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: