Monday, January 9, 2012

{fairy tales don't exsist...}

...but happily ever after might!

For as long as I can remember my parents have been divorced. I don't have many, if any, family memories of when they were still married. But that isn't saying much because apparently I don't have very many childhood memories in the first place. I do remember some things from when my parents were getting divorced. I don't remember how old I was at the time, but obviously old enough to remember tidbits of it. I know that my brother wasn't very old and therefore probably has no recollection of when my parents were together. I suppose I am glad that I don't remember my parents divorce because then I don't know if it was messy or not. Given how my mom and dad get along now, I'm inclined to believe it was all pretty amlicable, but I haven't ever really talked to either of my parents about it. I guess I don't really care. Even with my parents not being together, they generally acted as a unit when raising us kids and we had a good upbrining. That.. and I got to live at two different houses, which had both its ups and downs.

But being a child who grew up with her parents divorced kind of jaded me when it came to my own marriage. In high school I was the one who was going to grow up and never get married or have kids. Ha! Now I can't wait to have more kids and I'm getting married in precisely 621 days!

It took me a long time to know that I was ready to get married. Ultimately, everyone enters into marriage thinking it will last forever, okay, so hopefully everyone does. Because I know the perks and pitfalls of growing up in two different households, I knew it was something that I didn't want Ayden to have to endure. Just because Jay and I weren't getting married, it didn't mean that that still couldn't happen, but why go through with a marriage if one of us wasn't certain about forever?! And for a long time, I wasn't certain.

Our relationship hasn't been all peaches and cream... no relationship is. And for a while a few years ago there was a point where I didn't know if our relationship would last or even if I wanted it to. Why consider marriage when you are having those kind of thoughts?! And then it hit me... he was the man I wanted to be with forever. I sit and look at the ring on my finger and believe with all of my heart that Jay and I will be together for the long haul. I mean, we've made it eight years already, doesn't that say something for us?! Most of the people I know who've gotten married and have kids have only been together for half that amount of time, if that. I think we've got something special here, no, I know we do and although I know our future will be full of twists and turns, I have faith we can work throught it together.

I know there will be days where I don't even want to look at him, I'm not obvilous to that fact. But I also know there will be days where I want nothing more than just to look at him. It is a part of what relationships are. Can't be peaches and cream all of the time.

Happily ever after doesn't negate the fact that the road to it won't include bumps, road blocks, and even some detours, but as long as I know Jay is by my side along the way, we'll make it. I mean, we've passed the seven year itch, haha!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: