Monday, August 17, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me! (tomorrow)

I/We splurged on my birthday gift this year… I’ve been eyeing up a dSLR camera for some time now and couldn’t figure one into our budget a couple of months ago.

I sufficed to deal with my point and shoot for a while longer. My point and shoot which is still a GREAT camera, but you know, not a dSLR and my heart was crying out for one.

It’s the end of the summer and we still have most of our tax refund yet and decided I could finally get my upgrade! We’ve also decided to try and sell a few things we have at home that we haven’t used in quite some time which will help replenish what we spent to a small extent. Not that we need to replenish anything per say, because we wouldn’t have made this purchase had we not been able to… but it gives me some incentive to put those items on craigslist sooner rather than later.

I’ve done A LOT of research in the past couple of months trying to find the right camera for me. I’ve googled, consumer reported, reviewed, tested out, etc etc etc and thought I found the right one. I fell in love with the Nikon D90, but not the price. I thought maybe the Nikon D60 would work, until I found out it didn’t do video or ‘live view’ and didn’t want a camera without video (even though a lot of dSLR’s don’t do video). So… I checked out Canon. I checked out the Canon Rebel XSi, but once again… no video. One step higher is the Canon Rebel T1i and does video and cheaper than the Nikon D90 (although not significantly so)…

…and it’s been a match made in heaven! I guess I don’t have a preference over Nikon or Canon since this is my first of either brand (I’ve only had Olympus or Sony). I’ve heard good things about both and I guess unless I had one of each to compare, I’ll just say that so far… it’s great! Jay’s uncle (as a used to be professional photographer) prefers Nikon, but his cousin bought a Canon a few months back and likes that. So, it’s all personal preference I guess.

I’m so excited to get to picture taking, ah, what am I saying, I’m always behind a camera! I’m excited to learn more and more about this one though and have already been trying out different AV values, as well as exposure times, and white balance settings! In LOVE! Hehe!

canon-500d-rebel-ti1

I can’t wait to debut some pictures after Ayden’s party this weekend! Doesn’t help that I get a new camera the week my little guy is gone, haha!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

1 comments:

amanda said...

a dSLR is so fun!! i have to say that i'm a nikon girl. when i compared them at best buy i really like them better than the canon's as well. plus i was already used to the nikon's. apparently the canon's are more user friendly menu wise, but i found them confusing. and i'll be honest i LOVE having the option of live view...but i NEVER use it. so i really think it is not a need. the video option is nice. but if your current camera already has it you could use that for video. the guy at best buy when i bought mine talked me into the d90 over the d60 also because the kit lens is a ton better in the 90 zoom wise. i only went with the 90 because i knew in a year i'd want that one anyway. and we figured we may as well get 'the one' with our first purchase. ;0) ppl told me to keep my point and shoot too. i haven't touched it since may. lol. so i'm debating selling it. i don't know! anyway congrats. and fvtc offers some great photography classes in fall at night. i'm debating taking one. i've heard they're excellent!