Thursday, August 27, 2009

Up and Down

It has been one of those kind of days. It started out pretty good. I reluctantly got up when my alarm went off. I am really starting to hate that thing again, and it wasn’t even that early… 7am! However when you go to bed at 10pm or later every night and you love your sleep, it just sucks. I can’t wait to just be lazy tomorrow and sleep in (keeping my fingers crossed that Ayden does for a little while too) if only to 7:30 or 8am.

So, it all started out good. Ayden got up when Jay woke up and wasn’t crabby and got ready when I asked. We all headed out the door at the same time. Jay off to work, Ayden and I off to my work. However when I went to start my car… NOTHING! It didn’t start! Ugh! It was a good thing that Jay was still there and he was able to jump start my car. He said to call him when I was done with work and he would stop back over at work and jump start the car there if need be. I was really hoping that it wouldn’t need to be jump started, however unfortunately it did. At first it wouldn’t start and I was worried that my car would be stuck there and need to get towed and then I’d get a ticket because I was in a two hour park zone and my two hours was already up. Thankfully after a couple of tries it turned over and we made it home.

Jay had to leave his truck at the house with Ayden and myself since I needed a vehicle to take us to the doctor later in the afternoon. Jay had his buddy from work pick him up and then drop him off earlier tonight when they were done working.

Lunch was fine and Ayden was behaving really well. And then it was off to the doctor. I had talked with Ayden about him getting some shots, one if not two and he seemed okay with it. Well as okay as a five year old can be about getting shots. We also talked about answering the doctor’s questions when he was asked something. Ayden gets very shy and weird around strangers. I wanted him to be able to answer the doctor instead of me saying everything, especially when the doctor is asking Ayden.

He did great with the eye chart, answering the nurse, even answered most of the doctors questions. He got a little shy towards the end, but overall did very well. They did a hearing screening on him and he didn’t hear the quietest sound. The doctor said it wasn’t anything to be concerned about now and asked if I wanted him seen by an audiologist or wait until next year and see what happens. Since I have full access to the aud clinic starting next week I figured I would just test him myself or have one of the other grad students do it instead of worrying about making an appointment and what not. Plus screenings are not always super accurate as there is ambient noise and so forth. In any case, Ayden’s health checked out perfectly! One of his tonsils is slightly enlarged and I asked the doctor about that. She stated that it should not be a problem, but it is something we will keep our eye on. He isn’t snoring or having trouble breathing at night.

And then it was… shot time! And my poor baby needed FOUR shots and then needed his blood tested for lead. FOUR SHOTS! Oh, I felt SO bad for him! The nurses were awesome and double teamed him. One shot in each arm twice. I know that sort of sucks, but better than four in a row. LOTS and LOTS of tears, but Ayden was a champ! Only then I had to get him to have his finger poked and squeezed for a blood sample. He did good for that one as well, but even more tears. His new mantra ‘I hate shots and needles!’

We went to Dairy Queen after wards to calm down, both of us kind of needed it! We also talked about how he won’t need more shots until a long long time! Next ‘scheduled’ ones are in 2015, unless we decide to get flu shots or something unexpected comes up.

*That’s not to count the one he might (will probably) have to get when he goes to the dentist. Shh, but don’t tell him! They said they would give him some gas before hand to help relax him though!

We also talked about how going to the doctor doesn’t always mean shots and that shots keep us healthy and doctors help us stay healthy and so on and so forth so that the next time we go he isn’t terrified!

After we got home I got a call from our case worker saying that we will not be able to receive any child care assistance due to some new change in the rules. I am okay with this because I am just so grateful and thankful that we were able to receive the aid we were. However it does require a few more changes and money going out to pay for what I haven’t yet at the Y. Also, I can now check with the Y about seeing if we can get aid through them. Something I will need to check into tomorrow.

Our financial aid stuff came through today, however there is an issue with Jay’s at the present moment. I am keeping my eye on it through tomorrow and if the right thing does not happen then he will have to go to the office and see what they can do because we were counting on that money for living expenses and the letter we got from the school loan people say the loans were guaranteed. So I don’t know what it going on at the moment.

On a brighter note, we were able to get a new battery for my car (that is what ended up being the problem) for much cheaper than I had anticipated, but I haven’t had to buy a battery in a long time, well ever for my car, and one for Jay’s a year or two ago. Battery in… car starts wonderfully. I also picked up a few clothing items at Kohls tonight for myself and for Ayden. I got four new shirts that are all clinic appropriate, yet cute enough to wear for everyday as well as some pants for Ayden. We also got some jeans for Jay as he was in need of some new ones. Well actually he needed some more work ones, but I decided to get him some new good ones and he could take some of his old good ones and make them work ones. He has this issue with ripping the back pockets from the jeans and leaving big holes. He has two pair of work pants as I speak.

The rest of the night has been pretty relaxing. Jay got a little testy with Ayden at the store, but sometimes I think Jay is just not playful enough. He is too serious and makes things worse sometimes. He needs to relax and learn how to pick his battles. I am not saying that Ayden is the perfect model five year old who never has his moments, but if you know how to work it then all is well. And I won’t say that I don’t get a little irked when Ayden isn’t behaving all the time either, but the more you push him the more he will push back. Oh well…

I’m looking forward to a good weekend!

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: