Friday, May 15, 2009

G-Day…

…is tomorrow! We went and did our big 'party' shopping spree last night and got everything except the soda/alcohol/fruit. I'd get no alcohol since I don't drink, but invariably someone would get here and then go buy some because we didn't have any. Oh well... their choice on what they want to do. Anyways, my house is still pretty much a disaster area that needs to be cleaned tonight. The Walmart bags from our shopping excursion and still laying on the kitchen floor from last night after putting the groceries away. I didn't have the ambition to pick them up then or this morning, lol. Talk about lazy, lol! But I did get the laundry room in order yesterday and all of the clothes folded and put away, minus the one load that is in the dryer right now. It's a small load though so that is okay. And while Ayden was taking a bath this morning I did clean off the bathroom counter. It needed a good scrub down. Pretty much all that needs to still get done is swiffering the bathroom floor and kitchen/dining room, cleaning Ayden's toys, and vacuuming the living room and hallway. I might let Ayden loose with the duster so it doesn't look like I never dust, but haven't really decided yet. I'm sure he would love to do that! He spent about ten minutes on the TV yesterday making sure it was extra clean, lol!

I'm having a hard time getting motivated though because the last few days it was studying for finals and then yesterday it was really nice outside and I started a new book. It is called Just Breathe and I picked it up from Walmart on Thursday night. Yes, that is right... I was at Walmart both Thursday night and last night. I'm a Walmart fiend... but do you blame me. At least on Thursday night I only got like a few things. So, I'm about halfway through my book already and wanting to finish it pretty bad. I am going to strive to finish it tonight because I will definitely not have time this weekend with graduation and a birthday party this weekend. Maybe late Sunday night, but I will probably be too tired to read anything. Plus reading in my new swing is so comfy!

I've gotten quite a few congratulations already from family members about this whole college thing and it really has gotten me thinking. Everyone keeps saying how proud of me they are for making it through college while having a child. It's not to say that they wouldn't be proud if I didn't have Ayden and was graduating, but it just seems like they are making it such a big deal. And maybe to them it is, but for me it isn't. College was my choice, or rather it was where I felt led. It's not as if I had any choice about bringing Ayden along for the ride. I did what I needed to in order to accomplish my goals. Although I am not graduating with honors like I would have liked, however in my defense (heck, I don't need to make a defense)... I am 0.05 points below for being able to graduate with the lowest honors (there are three levels: GPA of 3.5-3.74 = cum laude (honors) GPA of 3.75-3.89 = magna cum laude (high honors) GPA of 3.9-4.0 = summa cum laude (highest honors)... and my current GPA was 3.45) As well, this does not take into account your last semester GPA. But I did figure it out and in order to increase my GPA to 3.5, I would need all 'A's and only one 'A-' this semester and sorry, but I don't think I pulled that off. But I'm proud of myself for graduating with an 'A-/B+' average from college!

But, back to my point, I didn't have much of a choice when it came to going to college with or without Ayden... he was there no matter what! So, the first part of my journey may be over, but the 'fun' part is just going to start. I have come to realize that college is not for everyone. I used to think that people who didn't go to college would get no where in life (well not nowhere, but college was the 'right' path). Yes, I was arrogant like that, but it has occurred to me that of course college IS NOT for everyone. People can and do go in SO many directions with their life. The real thing is that as long as THEY are happy that is ALL that matters! And so many people do not go to college and are happier than many of the people who do. It is the right path for me, but not everyone and I realize that. There is an infinite amount of possibilities for everyone in the world.

My career aspirations before entering college were ones that needed a college degree. I wanted to be a forensic pathologist (or in layman’s terms: coroner) and well that meant the long haul. One year into the biology major and a chance class for extra credit that was called Introduction to Communicative Disorders and I knew that I had found a different calling. At first I had no idea about Audiology and didn’t really ‘get into’ it for another year or so. I thought a speech pathologist was my new route and then came the ear, lol! I’ve always been more into the medical aspect of things and things that can be quantified. Well, an SLP can quantify progress and such, but audiology is a little more medical and that is the extra draw for me. And wouldn’t you know that I pick the career that includes two more extra years of schooling versus the two for the masters SLP’s need. I just love going for the gusto. That’s the path I’ve been lead to… but that is just me. Everyone is DIFFERENT and just because I go to college doesn’t mean Ayden will want to and that is something that I will be okay with if/when that decision comes because I am his mom and only want what is best for him, however want what he wants as well. Does that make sense? As a parent we want what is best for our children, but we also have to realize that sometimes what we think is best is something that they don’t want. Being a parent is so hard yet so rewarding and I can only pray that everyone who wants to experience it gets to in one shape or another.

Okay, I’m off to try and upload a video I took of Ayden last week. I tried to last night, but it wasn’t working. Wish me luck because it is super cute and I want to share it with everyone.

CIAO! LOVE ME!

UPDATE: The song uploaded, but is the post before this one! Enjoy!

1 comments:

amanda said...

i totally appreciate your post. i know i went to college for a year and didn't go back. but i knew that is what i shouldn't be doing. i never felt the pressure to "have" to go to school, but feel that people are too pressured. i have always thought that way too. i think it's partly because my parents never 'made' us go. not that all other parents do, but i think it's cool that you've noticed you don't 'need' college to survive or be happy. obviously i feel that way!! :0)i will say i never ever thought that this is how it would be for me...but i wouldn't ever change a single thing of it. thanks for being so honest. and congrats. not on graduating WITH a kid. but for graduating. that in itself is a feat, to have a kid just maybe made the feat harder sometimes. enjoy your summer!!