Saturday, June 28, 2008

A few days...

I know it's been a few days... but I've been busy. Here is what I had planned to post Thursday night, but never got around to finishing it. I'll write more about my wonderful weekend with my mom and sister hopefully either tonight or tomorrow night...

‘Is Grandma here yet? When is Grandma going to be here? I want to see Grandma!’ Those were the favorite phrases of the household this morning when my mom did not arrive promptly at 8am as per she said. And thus Ayden got mad that she wasn’t here yet. She arrived by 8:30 which took forever to get to. Good thing Ayden at least got halfway sucked into Handy Manny and forgot about her coming for maybe 5 minutes. He was super excited when she got here and didn’t pull the usual shy routine. He usually doesn’t around Jay’s parents or my mom. My dad yes, because unfortunately we don’t see him as often as we would like. And however, I do have to say that he does act shy sometimes around Jay’s parents, but just when we arrive. About 10 minutes later he is fine and he never really does that when we visit my mom. Maybe because he remembers her more because we lived there for a year. Do kids really remember that sort of stuff from when they were little? I don’t know, but maybe he just feels more comfortable around her because of something he can’t quite place. Thinking all philosophical here…

This morning my mom had Ayden to herself for a while when I was at work. They put up the dinosaur posters in his room. My mom also brought him a new dinosaur book. That’s what grandma’s and grandpa’s are for… spoiling! I can’t say I would encourage teen pregnancies, but the one big advantage that I see for Ayden’s sake is getting to know his great grandparents so well. Not many kids do. I have one great grandma alive yet (LOVE that lady to pieces! J) and have vague memories of my other ones. I remember playing at my maternal grandpa’s parents (I hope that’s said right) house with old pill bottles. The harder I think about it the more that comes back to me. I can remember the smell too. I remember my dad’s grandma a little, but I think that might be more from pictures than anything else. In any case, I love that Ayden can be close to his great grandparents. I say ‘can’ because he really is only with one set and that is Jay’s mom’s parents.

We see them the most and it’s the smallest family so Ayden gets more attention. Steven was the youngest grandchild until Ayden came along (well there is little Sam, technically a step grandchild, and he lives in Iowa so we don’t see him usually more than once a year, if that) and so Ayden got all the love. Now there is Quinn, but he also lives in Iowa and thus will not be around at every family gathering either. But I love little babies, so Jay’s aunts need to get busy, lol! In any case, he see Jay’s dad’s parents enough too, but like I stated before that side of the family is so huge that it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. Not that his grandparents don’t make every effort at seeking everyone out because they do. It’s just that on those big occasions Ayden gets shy. If it was just a small gathering he would open up to them more.

On my side… well we don’t see either great grandparents all that much. When we do I find that Ayden can more easily come out of his shell with my dad’s parents than my mom’s. Maybe that’s because my dad’s parents have more grandchildren and are more kid friendly. On my mom’s side… my grandpa doesn’t really seek the younger kids out and when my grandma does she smothers him. She can’t just give him the time he needs to warm up and by not doing that she is only pushing him further away. Who knows, I’m not all that close to them either. Maybe because ¾ of the time that I see them they are drunk and/or in the process of getting there and I don’t drink.

However though, Jay’s mom’s grandparents drink and get drunk as well, but for some reason that doesn’t bother me. That’s not to say they haven’t done their fair share of stupid stuff, but maybe it’s because they are so close to begin with and his grandma actually acts like a grandma. She genuinely cares and you can tell and that’s what I love about them. And in fact, Jay’s grandpa is technically his step grandpa. Not that Jay would ever use that term because Dennis (his grandpa’s name) has been part of the family since Michele was young. Den loves Jay and Steven like they were blood and does the same with Ayden. He’s really a great guy as well! I’m so happy that Ayden can have so many loving people around him as he grows up!


Okay, enough of the sentimental crap for now. Looks like tomorrow is supposed to be some bad weather so I think we are going to hit up the beach again this afternoon. Especially since today is going to be the hottest day for the next couple. Got to take advantage of it, right? Yeah, I thought so. I got a bit burnt yesterday, but nothing too bad that it hurts. It is just a little red. A few hours of sun a day with no sunscreen will make you nice and tan and of course is super horrible for your body. But I guess in the long run it’s better than a tanning bed, don’t you think? I don’t know if I’d ever do that. Maybe if I was going on a tropical vacation in the middle of winter. That way I could be semi tan before I go and not risk getting super burnt on the first day and feeling the pain the rest of it. Lol, when am I ever going to get a tropical vacation?

CIAO! LOVE ME!

1 comments:

amanda said...

our grandparents DRUNK?!? whatever are you talking about. ;) i'm glad you feel the same way i do about it! :) hope you and your mommy and sister have/had a super time together.