Thursday, December 11, 2008

Super duper generalization!

Either I am a great SLP (speech language pathologist) already or my son is just super smart!!! Or maybe it’s both… which ever, here’s a good story…

First things first, Ayden has trouble with saying some of his sounds. It is normal for his age, but being that I’ve studied so much already in speech development I can’t help but work on his sounds with him. It is nothing that require therapy, but I’m used to doing it.

So, one sound that I can tell Ayden really has trouble with recently is the ‘sp’ sound, like in spoon, spin, spider, etc. He would substitute the ‘sp’ with an ‘f’ and the words would be foon, fin, fider. I’ve tried getting him to say the ‘sp’ without too much coaching/therapy stuff, but it didn’t seem to be working. Well, one day about a week ago Ayden wanted to play Uno Spin. Ha, a great game and we can use ‘sp’ sounds in spin ALL throughout the game. I know that Ayden can say ‘s’ and ‘p’ in isolation so that was no problem, just putting them together.

We played the game and worked on the ‘sp’ sound whenever someone had to take a spin. We would elongate the ‘s’ and then say pin. It was working really good and Ayden was getting some really good ‘sp’ sounds. I was so proud of him, and hey, I wasn’t doing too bad at this therapy thing either, lol!

Okay, that’s not the great part. So, we were playing the game last night again and of course using the word spin and what does Ayden do, he says ‘spin’ just great! He was saying it just like we had practiced the last time. I couldn’t believe that he had taken what we worked on over a week ago and remembered to use it this week. And not only has he used it with the word spin, but I’ve heard it in some other words as well. It’s great to hear him saying it correctly! I mean, not that he NEEDS to say it correctly, but it’s something we were working on. Ah, gotta love speech therapy, lol! And to think I am going into audiology. Am I making the right decision? Yes, I know I am, audiology is where my heart lies!

Ayden is taking a bath right now, thus a little time for me to blog. He didn’t need a bath, but he wanted to take one which was fine with me. Makes him smell so yummy when he gets out.

I so do not want to go to class tomorrow. Today feels too much like a Friday and well, ick, one more day of class! I could so just not go, but I need to get the last day of notes for both classes for the finals. And get this, I found out in one of my classes that our final is going to be a group game of jeopardy. How crazy is that? Our professor is going to split us up into teams of about 5 people and then we are going to compete in a jeopardy game. She stated that she would make sure everyone got a chance to get a good grade. I suppose that this saves on the amount of studying that I will need to do and/or increase the amount. I could always rely on my team mates, but then again what if I get stuck with a team of not so smart people. However, I guess I cannot say that anyone in that class is not so smart because most everyone is. So I’m pretty sure no matter what my team will rock. It’s just too bad that we couldn’t pick our own team because my friends and I would have so rocked, lol!

Speaking of that particular class… I got my test grade back for the last test and I got an 84%… an 84! That’s horrible! I’ve gotten high ‘A’s’ on the first two tests, how could I have done so bad on this one, and we even had half of the test questions ahead of time. I was a little peeved and it makes me a little more worried about my grades. I figured it out and I need to get two A’s, two A-‘s and a B+ to still graduate cum laude. So far, I have one guaranteed A, and one pretty sure A. I’m thinking maybe an A or A- in my ComD class, hopefully an A- in my Social Psych class and maybe an A- in my Abnormal Psych class, but hoping for a B+ at the lowest. I suppose that those are pretty good grades. I cannot say that I’ve extended a super amount of hard work into this semester, but I have definitely not slacked off either.

Jay kind of got into it tonight with the manager of our apartments. They were pretty much yelling at each other about the shitty plowing job that has been done thus far at our place. It is HORRIBLE compared to last year and it really bothers Jay because he does that for work and knows how it should be done and how crappy the people that were hired actually do it. I was a little upset at Jay because he could have just let it go and everything would have been fine, but he had to keep going. Like the managers need more to not like about us. I guess I don’t know if they don’t like us or whatever, but we’ve been told a few times that we cannot keep toys on our patio, etc… and then Jay had to go and get into it with the guy. Funny thing is by the end of it I think they were actually chit chatting about other things. I don’t know, I wasn’t outside with them and hearing everything that was being said, but I hope that they ended the conversation on good terms. Jay did find out that if we ever are being annoyed by our noisy neighbors that we have permission to call the managers at ANY time of the day (even 1am in the morning) and they will take care of it. And if it is a second time that we are calling, they will actually call the cops and file a complaint. It hasn’t been THAT bad yet, but it has gotten annoying a few times. Did I ever tell you about the time I hurt my hand banging on the wall?

My cousin informed me today that Grey’s wasn’t new tonight, bummer! Maybe ER is, but I’m not keeping my hopes up anymore, lol. I’m just tired and want to lay down. Actually, I am just sick of school and want it to be done. I was doing so good and not getting worn down, but now I’m wanting it to be done and bad, looking forward to a little break.

CIAO! LOVE ME!

0 comments: